Sunday, January 15, 2012

Puff Accented Cardigan, Baby




Puff Accented Cardigan, Baby

0-3 months
Chest measurement – 17 inches
This is my first written pattern so there is a good chance there are some mistakes. If you find mistakes please let me know and I will correct it.
I created this pattern because I needed a gender neutral baby cardigan and I don’t like piecing together. I consider this pattern easy however you will need a basic understanding of increasing and decreasing and puff stitches.
Baby weight yarn, 2 skeins
Size “G” (4.25 mm) hook
Tip – I use a larger hook for the initial chain and the armhole chains later in the piece. I used an “I” (5.50 mm) hook.
Chain 44
Row 1-6: HDC increasing 10 stitches evenly across on each row. Chain 2 at the end of each row then turn. (94 stitches on row 6)
Row 7: *1 HDC in 6 stitches, 2 HDC 1 stitch* repeat. Chain 6, skip 20. HDC in next 26 stitches placing 4 increases evenly. Chain 6, skip 20, *2 HDC, 1HDC in 6 stitches* repeat. Chain 2, turn. (Armholes should measure approximately 6 ½ inches.)
Row 8 – 9: 1 HDC in each stitch placing 6 increases evenly. Chain 2 at the end of each row then turn.
Row 10 – 4.5 inches from neckline: HDC in each stitch. Chain 2 at the end of each row then turn. I don’t know how many rows it takes to get to 4.5 inches, about 7. Do NOT fasten off.
Row 18(?): Ch 3, Skip stitch, HDC. *Ch 1, skip stitch, HDC* Repeat across ending with HDC in turning chain.
Special Stitch - Puff Stitch: Wrap yarn, insert hook into chain 1 space, YO pull through, YO pull through 2 loops, *wrap yarn insert hook into same chain 1 space, YO pull through, YO pull through 2 loops* repeat twice more. You should have 5 loops on your hook. Pull through 5 loops.
Row 19(?): Puff stitch, *chain 1 skip HDC, Puff stitch in chain 1 space* repeat to end. Chain 2 turn.
Row 20(?): repeat row 18.
Row 21(?): repeat row 19.
Row 22(?): 1 HDC in each stitch to end of row. Do NOT fasten off.
Chain 3, HDC up front evenly. Chain 2, SC across neck. Chain 3, HDC down front placing 1-2 button holes in the top 4 inches by chaining 1 or 2 and skipping stitches. Chain 2, SC across bottom. Fasten off.
Sleeves
Row 1:Attach yarn at bottom of armhole, chain 1, place 30 - 32 SC evenly around opening. Chain 2 turn.
Row 2 – 13: 1 HDC in each stitch across. Chain 2 turn. Repeat to 4 – 4 ¼ inches, you may need to adjust the number of rows.
Row 14 – 22: 1 HDC in each stitch placing 1 decrease evenly. Approximately 6 ¼ inches, you may need to adjust the number of rows. (Wrist opening should measure at least 5 inches.) Fasten off.
Finishing: Weave in ends and block. Add buttons.


2 comments:

  1. Very cute, My sister in law is having a baby soon so this might just e the ticket! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister in law let me know the sleeves are actually about two inches too long so you may want to do them shorter than I did.

    ReplyDelete